Address: Office P615
Place du Mal De Lattre de Tassigny
tel: 33 (0)1 44 05 42 88
fax: 33 (0)1 44 05 40 91
Bernard Roy is Emeritus Professor at University Paris-Dauphine. He is the founder and Honorary Director of LAMSADE (since - 1999), a research group centred on decision aiding and Président d’honneur of ROADEF (the french association of operational research and decision aiding). Since 2010 he is honorary chairman of the Euro Working Group on Multicriteria Decision Aiding.
Bernard Roy has a PhD in Mathematics Doctor from the University of Paris (1961); is a graduate of the Statistics Institute of Paris University (1957); and attended courses at Institut d'Etudes Politiques (1954-1956). Before joining the university, from 1957 to 1966, he was a consultant at SEMA (Société d'Economie et de Mathématiques Appliquées), applying operations research to real problems. From 1966 to 1972, he was SEMA Scientific Director (Metra International). He joined University Paris-Dauphine in 1972 and created LAMSADE in 1976. In 1975, he founded the EURO Working Group on Multiple Criteria Decision Aiding, which has held two annual meetings since that date. He was President Elect and President of EURO, the Association of European Operational Societies (1983-1986). From 1979 to 2009, he was RATP (the Paris mass transit authority) Scientific Advisor. Bernard Roy is Doctor Honoris Causa of seven distinguished universities. He received the HERMES de la recherche de la Faculté des Sciences de l'Administration de l'Université Laval (Québec, Canada) in 1991, the EURO Gold Medal in 1992, and the MCDM Gold Medal granted by the International MCDM Society in 1995. He is the author of several books and hundreds of research papers. Bernard Roy has been the advisor of numerous graduate and doctoral students.
Bernard Roy's main contributions focus on two broad themes:
· Graph Theory with path-breaking contributions to the theory of flows in networks and project scheduling (with the invention of the activity on nodes method).
· Multiple Criteria Decision Aiding with the invention of the family of ELECTRE methods and methodological contributions to decision aiding that have lead to the creation of the European School of MCDA
His current research addresses two main topics:
· Robustness in Operational Research and Decision Aiding.
· Multicriteria tools for collective decision (called concertation in French)
For more details see:
· Bernard Roy, by D. Bouyssou and D. Vanderpooten in: Profiles in Operations Research, Pioneers and Innovators, Springer 2011, p. 753-773 (http://www.lamsade.dauphine.fr/~bouyssou/pub.html#Papers_in_Books)
· Bernard Roy et l’Aide Multicritère à la Décision, by A. David and S. Damart in : Management les Constructeurs, Revue française de gestion, vol. 37, no 214, mai 2011
· Entretien avec Bernard Roy, La recherche opérationnelle entre acteurs et réalités, by B. Colasse and F. Pavé, in Gérer et Comprendre (Annales des Mines), mars 1997, no 47, p. 16-27